Books Read in February 2014
1. Mind Games, by Kiersten White, finished 2/3/14
2. Back When You Were Easier to Love, by Emily Wing Smith, finished 2/4/14 It was a Valentine surprise! A contemporary YA romance that didn’t make me roll my eyes once! And it was bittersweet because part of it is the heroine realizing her ex-boyfriend is a douche. But his best friend sure is nice and hot and cute and fun.
3. Vampire Academy, by Richelle Mead, finished 2/7/14 I ignored this series for years because I thought it was just another vampire book. Mistake! It’s such fun! And these are a different breed of vampires! And now I want to see the movie!
4. Cress, by Marissa Meyer, finished 2/12/14 Third book of The Lunar Chronicles, a series I just really enjoy. This time it’s a re-telling of Repunzel, and it pokes fun at the Damsel in Distress trope. Capt Thorne is still the greatest, and I’m envious of Meyer’s ability to weave in so many points of view without losing the thread. And I can’t wait for Winter because that Lunar princess she introduces at the end of Cress is CRAZY like a fox.
5. The Bitter Kingdom, by Rae Carson, finished 2/21/14
6. Quiet: The Power of Introverts, by Susan Cain, finished 2/27/14
7. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, by Maryrose Wood, finished 2/28/14 A young governess goes to an old British estate to teach the children…. who were literally raised by wolves. Really delightful and a fun read aloud since the children punctuate most of their sentences with howls of some kind.
8. One More Thing, BJ Novak, finished 2/28/14 I saw him read a few of the stories aloud, and I think audiobook is probably pretty great. Plenty of that signature Office humor- the kind that makes you smile and feel smart, but you don’t actually laugh out loud.